Sustainable meats are always on the table at our Butcher counter, and we’ve got a recipe to help you grab goat season by the horns! There’s more to fall feasting than just Turkey, and goat is in season but twice a year. In honor of its return, we thought we’d share a recipe to give you some ideas on how to use this delicious, lean red meat!
Braised Goat with Eggplant & Pomegranate Molasses Sauce
- 1½ pounds eggplant, peeled
- 3 lbs goat meat, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 5 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Goat cheese
- 3 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- ½ cup finely chopped parsley, divided
- ½ cup Pomegranate seeds
- Rub goat meat with 1 tablespoon sumac, salt and pepper. Slice eggplant lengthwise into ½ -inch-wide slices, then crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 5- to 6-quart pot or large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the goat and cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes total. Be careful not to overcrowd the pot, and brown in batches if necessary. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the pot; add bell pepper, onion, 3 minced garlic cloves and the remaining tablespoon sumac. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Return the goat to the pot. Stir in the eggplant, tomatoes, pomegranate molasses, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally and turning the meat over once about halfway through, until the goat is very tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove the goat to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm. Increase heat to medium-high and cook sauce until slightly reduced and thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in ¼ cup parsley.
- Combine the remaining ¼ cup parsley, pomegranate seeds, and goat cheese in a small bowl.
- Serve the lamb and vegetable sauce topped with the parsley-garlic mixture.